1/22/2022

The GAL 109 Meme

Posted by Kati x January 22, 2022

Hi everyone! 

I was reading Peg's blog today and I came across this meme called "The GAL 109 Meme". I thought it was super fun and wanted to fill it out myself šŸ˜… I think it's originally a challenge that was in Gyaru 109 Month ✰ Event so I hope it's okay that I do it now šŸ’¦

For my new readers and people who don't know me, my journey with gyaru has been a long one so at the same time it's a good introduction post ✨ 





♡1. Name / Gyaru nickname and country

My name is Katja and I'm from Finland! 
I don't really have a "gyaru" nickname but I've been called Kati as long as I remember and online, I use katbat(x) or just Kat.


♡2. Since when are you gyaru?

I would say early 2008 was the proper beginning of my gyaru journey. I did quit around 2016 or 2017ish as I felt like I grew out of the style and didn't really enjoy it like I used to anymore. I sort of returned back in early 2021 with just doing my makeup here and there and now I want to enjoy the style once again but with my own way. šŸ’•

2008


♡3. How did you discover the style?

So I first stumbled across gyaru around 2006. I used to hang around a lot in a J-rock forum called batsu.org and one day I saw a conversation about ganguro/manba.. I was still super into v-kei and I didn't want to switch my style, so me and couple of my friends just dressed up for one night and took some horrible photos. After I got together with my ex boyfriend and started my new life in the UK, I switched my style and started to dress up and enjoy the style.

2009 (Red hair 2010)


♡4. What's your current substyle? Why do you like it?

I never stick to one style at a time so it depends on what kind of mood I'm in or whatever inspires me at that moment. But I do love me some rokku/goshikku, oraora and tsuyome~ I love hoodies and short shorts, skulls, crosses and wild animal prints. All these things just bring me comfort and make me feel badass! But because I'm old and prefer comfort, I just want to enjoy casual oraora and tsuyome looks ❤


♡5. What are your current booms? 

Atm I'm super into bright pink makeup, zebra and leopard print!

 



♡6. Share 3 of your fav codes. Why do you like them so much?

I'm going to cheat a little bit because I do have quite many fave codes through out the years šŸ’¦šŸ’¦

2012




2013




2014




2015




2016




♡7. Share 3 things you've learned during your Gyaru journey.

Practice makes perfect
Enjoy the lifestyle to make yourself happy, not to impress others
Always be open for learning and evolving



♡8. Share 3 gaijin gals and 3 Japanese gals you look up to.










Kaoru

My queen ❤


Kanako



Sakochi





♡9. What's your favorite Gyaru memory?

I don't have just one, I have so many great and funny memories from all of the meetups I've been in













♡10. What would do advice to people who want to start in the style but doesn't have the courage yet? 

Don't feel pressured to be 100% perfect on your first try! Allow yourself to be a beginner/baby gal as no one starts at the top. Find a gal that really inspire you and follow how they style themselves or do their makeup. Don't worry about owning brand right away, as many of the styles can be rocked by dressing in "no brand". For example I started my journey by looking at tons of magazine scans and trying to look for similar clothes from shops around me. These days it's much easier to look online or buy second hand brand but it's also super fun to either diy or make something work with gal. Experiment with different styles, hair and makeup or buy a wig, if cutting/dying your own hair is too much. Just remember to have fun and don't take anything too seriously!


1 comments:

MĪµĪ› on December 7, 2022 at 4:57 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment



 

Layout designed by Ipietoon Graphic design by Katbat Copyright © 2022